Monday, April 12, 2010

A Message from Starfleet Command

To boldly go where no man has gone before.

There are no small parts, only small actors.  Every role, whether on stage screen or in real life can be important if you make it so.

We never know when or where we may inspire others to greatness.  But we should realize that as long as we are true to our beliefs we may do just that.

The three preceding paragraphs fit the story of Nichelle Nichols to a 'T.'

Known to a generation of "Trekkies", or rather generations, Nichelle famously played Lt. Uhura on the Starship Enterprise.

Thinking the role to be merely a stepping stone to Broadway Ms. Nichols was about to leave the show after just two seasons when a fan approached her and begged her to stay.  So as an honorary member of 'Trekkies Anonymous' he might have started his conversation by saying, "Hi, my name is Martin and I am a trekkie."

Actually he was more than a fan and his words changed her life and most of ours forever.

The fan was Martin Luther King Jr. and here is the entire story of that meeting.
I guess although he never mentioned it in public Star Trek was part of his 'dream.'

2 comments:

train buddy said...

You need to get a life. Where do you come up with all this stuff?

Reschzoo said...

I'm actually from a time long ago and a galaxy far far away...
I happened to read about the story on someone else's web site and thought it was interesting. And being somewhat of a Trekster myself I figured what the heck.
Nanu Nanu & Live long and prosper, my friend.