Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Apologies to Sinatra

Having just slogged through a soggy morning Manhattan rush I sit here with soaked socks sadly looking forward to intermittent showers & sloppy shoes all day.
Luckily I do not have to travel too far from train to desk but it was long enough to pen this poem.
Sinatra might have sung it to the tune of "Strangers in the Night" - or not.  (For those of you who may not know or remember it here's the original song.)

New York in the rain
Dodging umbrellas
Hoping yet in vain
Not to bump fellas
As they run to catch
Their always late packed train


Speeding cabs all splash
And try to wet us
Smiles the cabbies flash
Always upset us
But that's city life
So we don't make a fuss


New York in the rain
There's really no place like it
We've been called insane
But we don't know the word quit
How can I explain
In this short refrain
New York is the place to be
In snow or sun or even rain - see


New York in the rain
Tons of umbrellas
I will not complain
To gals or fellas
'Cause we're all the same
We're New York in the rain


Scooby dooby doo
Get me a towel now
Doobie doobie doo
I'll wipe my brow now
But I still will love
My New York in the rain.

No comments: