Wednesday, December 19, 2007

INFINITY

Infinity
A Very Short Story
A Very Long Story



1. THE MEETING




Hey! Where did you come from?

Huh?

I said where did you come from?

I, uh, I don’t know. I mean, I have no idea. Who are you?

Me? I’m… uh I’m… Wait I know this. I’m Alan. That’s right, Alan. At least I think that’s my name or at least it should be. I can’t seem to remember. Alan, yeah it just sort of feels right. What about you?

Hmm. Sue! Call me Sue.

Okay, Sue it is. Now Sue?

Yes Alan?

Where did you come from?

Right. It’s funny. I’m not really sure. I seem to remember floating peacefully towards an opening of some kind. It was far away. But then I started to go faster and faster as though I was falling from a great height. But I wasn’t scared or anything. And here’s the really weird thing. When I got through the opening?

Yeah?

Well, when I got through the opening, I saw ME on the other side waiting. I know, you think I’m crazy but

No. I don’t think that at all. I had the same kind of dream.

Alan, I don’t think it was a dream.

Too weird!

And to answer your question, the next thing I remember is being here with you.

Okay, Sue. But that brings me to my next question. Where is here and what are we supposed to do now?

That’s two questions.

Do you have two answers?

I don’t even have one. But I think we should make the best of it. Let’s look around. Maybe we’ll find out something. What do you think?

Me? I think all of this excitement has made me really tired. I’m going to get some rest. We’ll talk about it tomorrow. It is a pleasure to meet you Sue. Good night.

It is a pleasure meeting you Alan, and good night.




2. PROPINQUITY




Ah, this is the life isn’t it?

My, my aren’t we the happy one today? What brought this on?

Well, think about it Sue. We have everything we need right here at our fingertips. We eat when we’re hungry, we sleep when we’re tired, and it’s certainly comfortable here. What more could you ask of life? I ask you, what more could you want?

Do you love me?

Huh?

Do You Love Me?

Well that’s really relevant. You sure know how to change a mood.

I’m serious. Do you love me?

Yeah, I guess so. But…

You guess so? Is that the best you can do?

Hey what do you want from me? You come out of nowhere with a question like that and expect me to have a ready answer.

Great.

Okay, okay. Of course I love you. I mean what do you expect. We’re together all the time. I’m always with you. It’s propinquity!

What the heck is propinquity?

It‘s the love that forms out of being close to someone for a long time.

Oh, so that’s it? You love me because I’m always here?

No that’s not it. Not at all. Look I've stayed with you haven’t I? I mean not once have I left your side.

Very funny.

All right. I mean that’s just how it started but it has grown. I love you now. I really do! I just don’t think about it all the time.

Wonderful. Now you take me for granted.

I give up.




3. THE MEETING




Alan wake up.

What is it?

I don’t know. I just don’t feel good. And I can’t sleep. I keep getting this feeling that I’m not going to be around much longer.

What are you talking about, stop it. You’re giving me the creeps.

Oh come on Alan. You can’t tell me you haven’t been feeling funny recently. I can see it in your face.

All right I have felt a little strange, but it’s just temporary. I had the same feeling a while ago and it went away. It’ll go away again, trust me.

Well right now I am worried. No, I’m downright scared stiff.

Cut it out! I told you that there’s nothing wrong. I won’t let anything happen to you, okay?

Okay. Thanks. You’re probably right, I’m just… What was that?

I don’t know.

Alan, I feel… Help. Something is pulling me. Help!

Sue?

HELP!!!

SUE!

ALAN!

HOLD ON!

I Can’t. Oh God, I can’t. I can’t. Alan. Alan.

Sue.

Goodbye Alan.

Wait – No – Help – NOOOOOOO – SUUUUUUE! Oh no, oh no. Where are you Sue? Where did you go? Oh God no. Where did she go? I can’t believe this is happening. I need my Sue. I want my Sue.
Maybe it’s a dream. Yeah, that’s it, it’s just a dream. I’m going to blink and…Oh God, why? Oh Sue I love you Sue. I do love you.
Whoa, what was that? What the…Stop it. Something’s pulling me now? Let go! Help! Help me!
Where am I going?
Hey I see some light.
Wow is it bright! Hey, turn it off, it hurts my eyes.
Hey, there’s Sue!
Hi Sue.
Sue? It’s me, Alan. What’s wrong? Why are you crying?
SUE!
Why won’t she answer?
Hey, put me down. Let go of me.
Stop it. Don’t hit me.
OW.
That hurt.
Stop.
OW!
Ow, Owaaaaaahhhhhhh, Wahhhhhhhhh, Waaahhhhhhhhhh. Wahhhhhhhh.

No comments: