Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Favorite Last Words - Hollywood Style


There’s an old one about a guy sent to jail where the inmates must work in the field all day and no talking is allowed.
Suddenly one guy jumps up and yells “49” and the field erupts in laughter.
Then another inmate pops up with, “72” and more laughs abound.
After five times the new guy leans over and asks his neighbor “what the hell’s going on.”
He’s told to wait.
That night the new guy us given a book of jokes and told to memorize them. “We can’t talk so we yell out the number of a joke and everyone remembers it and laughs.”
The next day exhausted from a lack of sleep our new guy waits his turn.
He hears “42” and laughter – “91” more laughter and then a lull.
He sees his chance so he jumps up and screams out “24!”
Not a sound.
He shakes his head and tries again. “24!!”
Nothing.
He looks at his neighbor who shrugs and says, “It’s your delivery!"

In that spirit I offer my favorite individual lines from some of the movies I’ve seen. It’s up to you to determine the movie and decide if you agree or not.
I hope my delivery suits your taste.

My Favorite last Movie Lines (not in any order):

Well, nobody’s perfect!

May God bless us everyone.

Eliza, where the devil are my slippers?

There’s no place like home!

As you wish.

Where we’re going we don’t need roads.

All right Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close-up.

Twas beauty killed the beast.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Hey Stella!

(How do I make out the report captain?) Better make it ‘dead on arrival.’

That’s right, that’s right. Atta boy Clarence!

It’s the stuff dreams are made of.

They can’t lick us, we’ll go on forever, Pa cause we’re the people! (An original Occupy Group!)

Te adoro Anton

Mother will love it up here!!!

Captain, I just threw your stinking palm tree overboard. Now what’s all this crap about no movie?

This is your life Lillian Roth

Merry Christmas!

I now pronounce you men and wives.

Come back Shane.

Go proclaim liberty throughout all the lands and to the inhabitants thereof.

I loved you Julie. Know that I loved you.

He would be in Jem’s room all night and he’d be there when Jem waked in the morning. (One of the greatest movies ever!)

Love means never having to say you’re sorry. (One of the corniest movies ever!)

And in a very special way I lost Hermie forever.

Even the orchestra is beautiful.

Oh sweet mystery of life at last I found you.

I’ll be right here!

I LOVE THIS TOWN!

Happy Birthday Sam, make a wish. (Pause) It already came true.

I think I’ll have a drink.

Hey, uh dad? Do you wanna have a catch? I’d like that.

I’m having an old friend for dinner. (Dr. Lecter – Dr. Lecter – Dr. Lecter ?)

I thought you didn’t care. I don’t. Don’t tell anyone.

Vanity, definitely my favorite sin!

Say friend, you got any more of that good sarsaparilla?

Good night you princes of Maine, you kings of New England.

To boldly go where no man has gone before.

Sayonara
.

And now some non-last but still great lines many used every day!

Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn. (Tomorrow is another day.) {First ever million dollar movie}

Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. (Play Ball.)

YOU’RE NEXT! (Police talk about seed pods falling off a truck in an accident.)

Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me aren’t you? (Early in the film)

We’re going to need a bigger boat! (Come on, everyone knows this line!)

I could’ve been a contender! (I could’ve been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.)

My daughter, my sister, my daughter, my sister, my daughter, my sister. (MAKE UP YOUR MIND!)

Get away from her you BITCH! (Final confrontation)

Open the pod bay doors please Hal. (Nearly the last line spoken by a live character in a film with a lot left!)

Excuse me while I whip this out. (One of my many favorite Mel Brooks lines, most of them of the ‘potty’ variety.)

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die! (Early on in the 3rd 007 flick while Sean Connery – the real one & only James Bond is being tortured by Odd Job’s boss Goldfinger.)

Here’s Johnny! (So much scarier when Jack Nicholson said it to Shelley, Olive Oyl Duvall than when jolly old Ed McMahon said it to Johnny Carson.)

You want answers? - I want the truth! - YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH! (Whoa!)

Use the force, Luke!

We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore!

If you build it he will come.


Beam me up Scotty!

Life's like a box of chocolate.

Live long & prosper.

You do know how to whistle don't you? You just put your lips together and blow!


I’m the king of the world! (Or at least the box office!)

Pay no attention to the man behind that curtain.

They call me Mr. Tibbs!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Play it again Sam (Never actually said but ‘when the legend becomes fact print the legend’ – Which is of course another great line from a John Wayne Jimmy Stewart western.)

I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Go ahead, make my day.

You talking to me? You talking to me?? I don't see anybody else here!!

In years to come when you speak of this, and you shall, be kind.


Here’s looking at you kid.

I'm walking here, I'm walking here!

To my big brother George, the richest man in town.

Show me the money.

Why don’t you come up and see me sometime?

E.T. phone home.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Attica 
 Attica  Attica!

Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges!

I’ll have what she’s having.

Lah Di Dah.


I’ll be back.

Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.


I see dead people.

Rosebud (Belongs as the first line of the movie and the last word seen in the film.) The film was written by produced by directed by and starred a great man in film-dom with an incredible knack for a war of the words!


There’s no crying in baseball!

Wanna dance or would you like to suck face? 

Of course it’s hard. If it was easy everybody’d do it.

Hasta la vista, baby.

Are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?

Yo Adrian!

Is it safe? (My teeth always tingle when I hear that line.)

Nobody puts baby in a corner.

Plastics!

And for anyone who actually read this entire long piece of my personal favorites I have but one thing left to say:

My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my brother (variant) thanks you, And I thank you!

Anyone who does not know the movies attached to the quotes or the circumstances under which they were uttered leave a comment or tweet (@reschzoo) and I’ll be glad to fill you in. (Don’t google, that’s no fun.)

1 comment:

Reschzoo said...

I received many comments on this post so far but sadly none of them posted ON this post. They came to me via Facebook, email & in person!
I do not like to post self praise as I always feel it is no praise so I will not actually repeat the comments except to say that up until this moment they have all been positive and appreciative.
Thanks to all who enjoyed My Favorite Movie Lines!