The fight over increasing the minimum wage or living wage as it should be called for low wage workers is another case of the overwhelming majority versus the one or two percent. And this time logic most definitely supports the majority view!
Republicans in Congress and on talk shows are naturally against anything that will cost business owners any money at all.
They argue that raising the mandatory minimum wage will hurt business and force many to hire fewer workers or even shut down. And as a result the Nation’s economy would be harmed and send us into a recession.
Their argument holds no champagne.
Keeping wages low is even worse than continuing to lower taxes on the wealthy in the hopes that miraculously some of their stash will trickle down. Of course with fewer dollars going to the tax man more can find their way into the campaign coffers of Congressmen so there is a method to their maddening madness.
The Republicans are of course not pointing this fact out but it only takes a modicum of intelligence to glean it from real life happenings!
The argument from the right is as inane as saying a sunny day is bad because it could cause sunburns and melanoma. They neglect to mention that life on Earth happens to be dependent upon sunlight!
So not surprisingly they are once again wrong when it comes to wages earned in America and a simple domino effect look at the facts will prove this to be true.
Suppose the Federal Minimum Wage were to be raised to at least $10.10 as is the current proposal from the White House. (Note it is already higher in many States and no harm has been done to businesses operating there. In fact the below scenario seems to be taking place.)
- Businesses who pay minimum wages will immediately be paying higher wages
- Many small businesses generally pay above minimum wage anyway so they won’t be harmed. They have only a few employees and it’s very hard to look an employee in the face and refuse living wage when you know them personally!
- Loopholes that allow large, huge corporations to be considered small will have to be closed if any exemptions are made for small businesses.
- Some workers who are barely above minimum wage before the increase may receive sympathetic raises.
- Small percentages of profits or disposable income of the business will now be placed in the pockets of the worker rather than the CEO.
- The money the CEO would have received would likely be added to off shore accounts or invested overseas to limit taxes but most likely not be spent in America
- Low wage worker recipients of the new pay rate would immediately start spending the extra money on frivolous things such as food and clothing.
- The Federal Government would no longer have to subsidize their earnings thus enabling them to live and feed their families without aid.
- The newly spent money would put much of the increased wages back into local businesses.
- This would increase profits and cause more goods to be ordered to cover the new demand.
- New orders would cause the supply chain to ramp up.
- This could stimulate owners to hire new workers.
- The increased work force would generate more tax revenue for America.
- This rising tide would lift all boats, not just luxury yachts
- With more commerce across the Nation our government could focus on fixing our ailing infrastructure.
- Children who were too hungry to attend school and learn would start to get the education they need to survive in this new internet driven world.
- The next new innovative idea could come from any of these newly nurtured children
- America could take back the title as the World’s greatest force, and not just militarily speaking.
- People from all over would flock to America and peace would break out Worldwide!
Okay, maybe the last domino was a bridge too far but unless we embark on the journey soon that bridge may rot and crumble into the river of no return.
Commerce will shriek to a halt as product cannot reach its destination in a safe and timely manner. (Too much?)
And when all of this happens maybe, just maybe one more domino will fall, the end of the anti-middle class; anti-woman; anti-minority; anti-immigrant; anti-union of any sort including it seems, the great union known as the United States of America Republican!
For surely there is no more pressing issue for a government of, by, and for its people than the welfare OF the people who hired them to look after the country!
Once the Republican Party realizes that simple fact we can get our economy to start working for us again!But if not then come November hopefully it will be the chips, not the dominoes, which fall for them!